This is part of the WSDC 2011 series as I recount and report on the World School Debating Championship 2011 in Dundee, Scotland as a debater, blogger and Wales national team member.
Two weeks have gone by since the schools closed for the summer and in that time we have got a lot of work done. That hasn’t, however, included writing the newsletter you may have been expecting J.
I am off on holiday for a week from tomorrow and Gaynor went today, so we can’t put anything up on the main tournament website till next week. Just to let you know that everything is fine and preparations are progressing as they should be.
If you are planning what to fit into your suitcase, we can offer you a short list of Dos and Don’ts:
- an Ethernet cable if you wish to hook up your laptop to the residence broadband
- hair dryers / straighteners etc (share?) – there are no hotel facilities
- toiletries, for the same reason – although there is a nearby supermarket to save you carrying shampoo and so on
- a decent waterproof; despite the fact that I got very burnt working out on the patio last week, some of the rainstorms we have been having have been torrential. The daytime temperature at the moment on dull days is about 16 degrees
- Bed linen
- Crockery / cutlery if you are planning lots of midnight feasts
All of these things are supplied, despite some online reports to the contrary.
Numbers of spreadsheets are being made up from the registration system telling us about arrivals and dietary requirements; folders are compiled with passport scans, Codes of Conduct and ESL / EFL applications. All of these were due over a fortnight ago and if you or your Team Manager have not yet completed your registration form, you may find no arrangements have been made to collect you from the airport.
We wish all the teams all the very best with their final preparations and look forward very much to seeing you in four weeks’ time! If you still have queries which have not been answered above, please e-mail the Contact address; Malcolm will be here this week and then away next week when Gaynor and I get back.
Footnote: The “despite some online reports to the contrary.” line seemed to me like an unnecssary dig at the WSDC 2011 – Accommodation post I published back in May. Whether that is the case or not, the post did clearly say that “Whether this [Their respective websites advise individuals to bring duvet & duvet cover, bed sheet, pillow & pillow cover amongst other things] is necessary will become clear closer to WSDC 2011 when the organizers send out specific details.” Those details have now emerged and it appears we need not bring those aforementioned things. In light of that, I don’t think the post could be considered an ‘online report to the contrary’.