This is part of the WSDC 2011 series as I recount and report on the World School Debating Championship 2011 in Dundee, Scotland as a debater, blogger and Wales national team member.
Still in China on holiday after a tough year, just trying to wind down and recover a little. I know this post is a little late, but internet access is limited here so I’m just glad I’m able to post something.
The prepared motions for WSDC 2011 were released at 12 noon GMT on the 1st of June. They are
- R1: THW offer dictators immunity in return for leaving power
- R3: THBT universal primary education is a misallocation of resources for the developing world
- R5: THW legalize the sale of human organs
- R7: THBT women can only achieve equality under a secular system of government
For those who are not aware, four of the eight preliminary rounds involve prepared motions whilst the other four are impromptu motions. This means Round 2, 4, 6 and 8 will have impromptu motions which are released 1 hour before the debate begins, essentially giving teams 1 hour to prepare.
Thereafter, the Octo-finals, Quarter-finals and Semi-finals all have impromptu motions.
The Grand Final has a prepared motion which is:
- THBT Autocracy is doomed in the Age of Facebook