UWC Adriatic MUN 2011: Part 2

We were woken up at 4 and advised to go through security before the masses arrived. We duly did and managed to find seats past security that were good enough to sleep on. I finished a morning paper at 5:30 and slept till 7. I woke up from a really odd dream, we then packed-up and went to Pret a Manger where we sat to eat and research until 11:00 when we moved to our gate.

Here’s the dream.

I was sleeping like I was, only in a partitioned section almost as if next to a security post. When I woke-up, I looked up at one of those airport boards telling you which gate is at what time and their respective status only it appeared really really fuzzy. I knew I wasn’t wearing glasses but I just couldn’t figure out why it was so fuzzy. I eventually say 11:50 when our RyanAir flight is scheduled for 11:35. Deciding we had missed our flight, I sort-of crashed onto the bench again, waking up to find Merone also having woken up and also staring at the time board. I proceeded to ask her the status of the flight, all the time being pretty-much fully conscious that we had missed our flight. She informed me that the flight was gate-closed but hadn’t left yet to which I replied we should ask a airport staff who would be able to help sort us out.

When we asked them, I can’t recall whether in Cantonese or English, they said they could try and get us to the gate as soon as possible. we then grabbed all our luggage, tried to block the sun out of our eyes and make sure we hadn’t left anything before getting on one of the airport buggies with one of the airport staff telling us that they would try to get us there because the buggy drove really really fast – 65 meters a minute. Merone started asking them about a ‘Taxi’ building which I have never heard-of. At this point, I asked the buggy drier where we were, and when he said Malaysia, I promptly woke-up to find it being just 7:15 and that I was only in London Stansted Airport.

I had quite a few problems with the RyanAir baggage limit. The guy guarding the gates forced me to unload nearly 6 kg of stuff. Eventually, between my extra layers, massive pockets and some external assistance, I think I threw away about 2-3kg of stuff. Mostly I had to get rid of paper as well as quite a bit of food. I eventually managed to get on.

The flight itself wasn’t too bad except it consisted of pretty much two hours of advertisements. I’m not sure whether I should feel worse for us the passengers, or the flight attendants who had to do the selling, either way, it was quite in-your-face. Food, drinks, perfume, scratch-cards, just about everything you could imagine was being sold to you in the most explicit manner that could be found.

When we arrived at Duino and were greeted by the very friendly Idan (Israel) and Graciela (El Salvador), both from UWC Adriatic. They were kind enough to take us all the way back to the college and Duino. I was rather surprised to fine that we hadn’t actually landed in Trieste and that Duino was in fact between the airport and Trieste. No-wonder all the google-mapping I had done didn’t quite seem to fit 😀

Idan gave us one of the most comprehensive guides to the entire village/campus. Having taken a few people around AC, I can tell you he did a far better job than me 😀 It turns out that the UWC Adriatic has a far smaller campus than AC.

The same evening, we went to the ‘Canadian Dinner’ which was more of a social vent since there were a whole host of non-Canadians there anyways. UWC Adriatic have a sorta supermarket just across the street from some of the school buildings, so people just sort of bought food there on the spot and cooked it right away, a far cry from the need to be organized so you can go to Llantwit and buy the right stuff as is the case in AC. The dinner itself was a typically UWC affair with lots of food and everyone just hanging around, talking to each other. I particularly loved the desert which was biscuits and an olive-oil cake. To be honest though, all the food was pretty good. They really do care about their food more in Italy!

We went to the Church where we had a few songs as well as some recitals from the Koran. Entirely UWC but still awfully cool. It often goes unnoticed, but it’s at such moments that you notice the diversity and range that a UWC provides. Where else could you find a reading of the Koran in a Catholic Church? We spent the rest of the evening researching on our laptops back at the hotel, all ready for MUN the next day.


One comment

Comments are closed.